Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIY Teacher Gifts, Part 3 (and a freebie!)

Son #2 and his third grade teacher kinda bonded over their mutual love of coffee with French Vanilla creamer. It started the morning that I made new inserts for the kids' travel mugs so they could take coffee or cocoa on their chilly walk to school.  (His is the Dog Whisperer one...)


It was natural, then, that he wanted to give her something coffee-related as her appreciation gift.  So, when he spotted this on Pinterest, the search was over.  Click pictures to enlarge...


This packaging is a riot.  Just ask for a cup, lid and straw from the barista when you buy your gift card.  Easy peasy!  I had it all put together last night and was printing the tag when Hubs came home from a meeting and asked when I had gone out for coffee...it looks that *awesome*!


The inspiration instructions say to stuff the bottom with brown tissue paper.  Well, I didn't have any of that; but I have stacks of scrapbooking paper, including this *awesome* (that's #2's favorite word, after all) brown sheet with sort of a subtle mottled print.  Looks exactly like iced coffee!  I tinkered around a bit and finally came up with a template to cut out and insert into the cup.


I used a piece of scotch tape to keep it rolled just right.  Then, just pop in your gift card and top off with some white tissue paper and the lid.  This is a perfect chance to use some leftover tissue, because it looks *awesome* no matter how wrinkled it is.  Full disclosure: I think I used a piece that was packaging from #2's brand new tennis shoes!

I tied on the tag by running some embroidery floss right through the tag and straw with a needle. It seemed nicer than just taping it on somewhere...I'm a little silly like that.


He pretty much loved it ("That's *awesome*, Mom!").  And, to make it *awesome-r* yet, I've made printable templates for both the cup insert and the tag!  WOOT!

(That's *my* favorite word!)
        

 Just click the image to download!  Enjoy!

You may also like: DIY Teacher Gifts, Part 1 and Part 2!


1 comment:

  1. This is sooooo cute! Will definitely do for Teacher Appreciation gifts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete