Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summer Reading for the Kids

Hubs and I are trying something new this summer.  We're finding the current ages of our kids (roughly 10, 8, 6 and 4) a little challenging, and our house is still on the market, so we've decided that a good, concrete schedule is necessary for family sanity.

We've provided lots and lots of Free Choice time every day, but we're also including time for Creativity (drawing, inventing, pursuing musical interests), Exercise, Chores and Gardening.  Hubs will be working with each of them on Math skills and Science experiments, and I have time set aside for Read Alouds, Personal Reading and Bible Study.

Last year, we proposed a Reading Challenge for the boys.  They both earned their first level reward for it, but we had to nearly force them to "give up" some playtime to fit in their reading.  So, we're mixing it up.

Twice a week, I'll do Read Alouds with the big boys.  We've decided to start with Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl, and then an age-appropriate adaptation of Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.
      

On the opposite days, I'll read with the younger set.  We're starting by working through my vintage set of Sweet Pickles books from my own childhood.  I'm hoping that the language is basic enough for Banana to begin to sound out words, too!

While I'm reading with the littles, the bigs are going to have Personal Reading time.  They'll be able to read books that interest them, but they're also be doing a lesson from the devotionals they've chosen for the summer.  They're both very excited about their picks, and I think they will each gain greatly from them!  C chose Devotions to Make You Stronger by Ed Strauss, and E picked Mission Possible: a 40-Day Adventure with Jesus by Chuck Swindoll.

       

And, what I'm probably most excited about, is the group Bible Study I'm doing with all four of them.  They expressed interest in learning about miracles, so after some searching, I landed on this workbook by Bill Johnson: Here Comes Heaven.  They were thrilled when I explained that it will teach us about using our power as believers to actually perform modern-day miracles!  I can't wait!


I'll let you know how it all goes!  Wish us luck!

(P.S.  All book graphics are linked, if you're interested in checking them out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment